Wednesday 18 August 2010

Go(o)[g]gle-eyed and Go(o)[g]gle-brained




Image of a wood frog by telemudcat (Kevin Chodzinski)
(from Flickr, under Creative Commons)
NB telemudcat does not in any way endorse this blog



Yikes. As though finding a witty and attractive Flickr image for each post is not enough, now I have to dream up a Google document ... My brain hurts! (but probably serves me right for getting behind with my Things, and having to do them all at once).

And yes, I know that the Flickr images are not compulsory! (just one of the more enjoyable parts of my homework for each Thing).

I'm sure that Google documents can work well in the right situation (the broken record cracks out once again), but by now my faithful readers will know that my colleagues are either right on (or inside) my doorstep, or don't 'do' computers. Real-time joint editing no doubt has its place (though I imagine that it could get quite confusing trying to track changes, and time-consuming having to type out all the messages making suggestions, the confusion increasing with the numbers of people involved).

I could store documents in the great interweb cloud cuckoo land of Google to edit from any of the many unlinked computers that I use - if I had them. Which of course some people do, though don't they use memory sticks (if they aren't intending to share the document via Google Docs, of course)? Perhaps Google documents are more secure, and you can't forget where you put it, as you might a memory stick. I don't know.

I started to create a Library survey. Yes, this is completely unoriginal, but I have perhaps proved that I can fill in boxes with this tool. It is easy enough to do, and I understand that I could email the link to our customer base, and/or embed it into a website/this post if I completed it. Whether they would then bother to go and fill it in is the $64 question ...


I'm not going to ask anyone to fill it in. There's a relief for you all!

Sorry, sharing a Google document was part of my homework, but I couldn't think of anything constructive to do that wouldn't waste people's time. And Web 2.0 should not involve that, should it?


Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for using my photo! National Geographic found it for some use as well...

    ...and I didn't know I could create forms in Google Documents. Learned something new.

    Subscribed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the photo - it's charming. I can see why NG might have used it. I'm glad that you learned something from my blog in return!

    ReplyDelete