Thursday 5 August 2010

Delicious

... Even with indigestion? My fourth Thing in three days, I think, and galloping through to try to get to the end is making me feel that I'm not looking at things (Things) as fully as I might.

So ... I can have all of my bookmarks in one place, wherever I am with a computer. Sounds great. Except that I only really use one computer (or account, I suppose) with any regularity, and I don't really have that many bookmarks that are related to urls which I can't remember, or rapidly find doing a quick search via Fastsearch (other search engines are available) if I happen to be outside my main account. I could spend endless time on Delicious browsing through selections of bookmarks made by other people, and creating unwieldy lists of things that I will very likely never look at again. How does librariangoddess use 678 bookmarks, I wonder? Even if they are beautifully tagged and put into tag bundles. I only ever regularly use about 25% of my current list of bookmarks, and have the most popular up as tabs in Firefox (saved from session to session), so don't have to go into the bookmark list at all. At least 25% of my bookmark list were not looked at in the last year. We are talking about just over 50 bookmarks, and a quick look at the list just now has reminded me of several which I could delete straight away if I wasn't writing this blog. Yes, if I used Delicious, I could tag and organise my bookmarks, but they are all sensibly named and arranged alphabetically. If I regularly used lots of computers that weren't linked, perhaps I would sign up for this. But I don't need it.

I can see that it would perhaps be useful for libraries to make a portfolio of resources available to their users, though I don't know that it is any easier to use Delicious than a well-ordered and categorised list of URLs on a webpage, accessible from the library's pages, and Delicious is far more distracting. Perhaps I am missing something.


Photo courtesy of bunchofpants (from Flickr).

Yes, it's a hamburger cake, the concept of which is quite indigestible ...

2 comments:

  1. I'd say that creating a list of URLs is much easier in Delicious than on a library webpage. Some libraries don't, I think, have much immediate access to editing pages on a college/department page, but a Delicious account is outside those restrictions, and there's just a lot less typing in setting up a Delicious list once you've got the 'bookmark' button or toolbar - no copying and pasting URLS, for example.

    But I agree that it's not a tool that everyone needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that it could depend on how long the list is, and how often it changes.

    I didn't like that look of Delicious, and it seemed all too easy to distract yourself away from the initial list with the "Top 10 searches" kind of features. Maybe serendipity would work, and an excellent resource be found outside the initial list, maybe time would be wasted.

    ReplyDelete