Friday 18 June 2010

My first post

I am completely new to blogging, tweeting, twittering, and the like. I must confess that I am a little sceptical about it all. I am pretty computer literate in some ways, to the extent of customising library software and learning a kind of programming language to do so. I handle email and all the usual office programs (Word, Excel, etc.), internet searching, etc. without trouble. I appreciate that computers can in many ways make life easier (when they are working properly - they certainly make life much harder when they go wrong, as we grow dependent), but I don't have one at home (and am glad not to), and I've never had much desire to send out 140 character news bites about myself to anyone. I don't even text - I don't own a mobile phone. I don't much like the ever-increasing instant availability culture. So ... I guess that I'm going to look at the 23 Things Cambridge from a professional point of view, to see how what it contains might increase the profile of a library. Perhaps I'll be convinced to tweet and twitter on my own account by the end of the program. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Cam23 programme! I'll be watching your blog with interest to see if you do think any of the 'Things' could be adopted in your library. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kirsty! Struggling a bit to find time for the programme, but still hoping to have an open mind about it all by the end ;o)

    ReplyDelete