Wednesday 21 July 2010

Google calendar


Right, I've now been introduced to Google calendar, and this is what I set up initially, on the site:




I've managed to add two slightly different versions of it to my iGoogle page:



Not sure why I've ended up with two different formats. The one on the left was added by creating a web link, I think - the page asked me to follow some steps to do this. I can add extra items to the calendar in slightly different ways in each. There seem to be pros and cons to each version. I perhaps like the look of the right-hand one better, but it is maybe easier to add new events on the left-hand one. I don't need both ... Perhaps I could tinker with both, to combine the best features of each, but not now.

I manage my life, work and non-work, via paper diaries, and my Outlook calendar. I find my Outlook calendar easier than the Google one, as I'm in the program anyway. As previously stated, two out of three of my bosses (also 25% of the Libraries Committee) don't use computers, so from a staff point of view, the Google calendar won't be much use. I suppose that I could, Computer Office allowing, embed a Google calendar into the Library webpage, with details of end of term arrangements, and similar. Whether it would be worth the effort, I don't know. It isn't very complicated, but would the students bother to go and look? I send emails in advance of "events" happening, which I suspect is as far in advance as they are likely to think about them (am I being unfair to students?). The days of term when things happen are also always the same (last Wednesday, last Thursday, and so on). There aren't many "events" which aren't regular. In other libraries, where there is a constantly changing programme of events, I can see that this could have a lot more relevance.

No comments:

Post a Comment